PEORIA — You can discover a ton about a local community from its architecture, and Peoria has quite a few great tales to explain to.
Architecture from the town’s heyday as the “Whiskey Funds of the Entire world” continue to graces the local community, providing the best cause to go for a stroll via Peoria’s historical neighborhoods on a Sunday afternoon.
Neighborhood historian Tim Hartneck chose a number of highlights to appear for alongside the way. Interpretive indications on Moss Avenue, High Road and Randolph Avenue notify the stories of a lot of of the buildings.
1505 Moss Ave.
Francis W. Small Residence
Peoria’s only authenticated Frank Lloyd Wright dwelling was named immediately after its unique operator, Francis W. Very little, a law firm and utility firm proprietor. Tiny and his spouse have been founding associates of the Artwork Institute of Chicago. Developed in 1903, the house is a vintage illustration of Prairie design style, with minimal-pitched roofs, projecting eaves, walled terraces and ribbon home windows.
1316 Moss Ave.
D.S. Brown House
Developed in 1913, the D.S. Brown Property is certainly a Prairie style residence, but Frank Lloyd Wright was not the architect. No a person is sure who designed it, but some feel Wright was involved till he obtained into a dispute with the operator, prompting him to leave the task mid-construction.
1212 Moss Ave.
The household was designed in 1868 by Moses Pettengill and his 2nd spouse, Hannah. Moses Pettengill settled in Peoria in 1834 and afterwards turned a vocal leader in the abolitionist motion in central Illinois. He and his 1st spouse, Lucy, had been energetic users in the Underground Railroad community in Illinois.
The Pettengill-Morron Residence is owned by the Peoria Historic Modern society and is open up for excursions. For far more info, pay a visit to https://www.peoriahistoricalsociety.com/houses.
942 NE Glen Oak Ave.
John C. Flanagan House
The John C. Flanagan Dwelling is the oldest standing house in Peoria. It was developed in 1837 by Judge John C. Flanagan in the American Federalist fashion. The residence presents a spectacular perspective of the Illinois River Valley and is now a museum with collections of antique glass, china, furniture, toys, quilts and classic clothes.
The Flanagan Property is owned by the Peoria Historical Society and is open for excursions. For extra details, pay a visit to https://www.peoriahistoricalsociety.com/homes.
419 Fulton St.
Peoria Metropolis Hall
It took 15 months and $200,000 to make Peoria Town Corridor, which was concluded in 1899. At that time, it was the greatest job in the city’s history. Developed by architects Reeves and Baillie with some of the terrific civic buildings of Europe in brain, the developing is elaborately embellished in the Flemish Renaissance style.
255 NE Randolph Ave.
John C. Wynd residence
Boasting 4,300 sq. ft, this elaborate Queen Anne model dwelling was created in 1888-89 for Peoria brewery baron John H. Francis in an space identified as Pulsifer Grove, a preferred picnic spot recognised for its hilltop views of Downtown Peoria and bluffs across the river.
256 NE Randolph Ave.
Willis Ballance residence
Crafted in 1888, the Willis Ballance residence has approximately 5,000 square ft of residing space and an elaborately decorated exterior. The property was created by Willis H. Ballance, the son of Col. Charles Ballance, a pioneer Peorian and a attorney, who settled in Peoria in 1831. Col. Charles Ballance served in the Civil War and was elected mayor of Peoria in 1855.
259 NE Randolph Ave.
George Sandmeyer residence
George Sandmeyer manufactured his fortune in the spouse and children components small business. Designed in 1890, the Queen Anne model household has an elaborate façade making use of a wide variety of elements, including brick, stone, wooden, pressed metal, decorative glass and iron railings. Though the household has been transformed to apartments, it is said to still contain some of the most remarkable inside woodwork in Peoria.
443 Substantial St.
James M. Quinn residence
Designed in 1891 by James M. Quinn, a grain broker, the house replaced an earlier property created in the 1850s. The Quinn home was made by Peoria architect Warren H. Milner, who also designed 256 and 255 Randolph Ave. The Quinn home is one particular of ideal surviving examples of the Queen Anne model of architecture in Peoria. The picturesque silhouette, use of closely rusticated stone, fish-scale slate shingles and the hammered copper repousse operate are characteristics of the design and style.
416 Hamilton Blvd.
The G.A.R. Hall was committed in 1909 as the residence of the Grand Army of the Republic, a veterans firm developed after the Civil War by Union Gen. John A. “Black Jack” Logan. Building of the developing was funded largely by Col. Joseph B. Greenhut, who served in the Civil War and made a fortune in the whiskey small business.
321 NE Madison St.
2nd Presbyterian Church
The Romanesque Revival building that houses Obed & Isaac’s currently was designed by the Next Presbyterian Church commencing in 1887. W.W. Boyington, the architect who built Chicago’s Drinking water Tower, created the developing. In 1949, the congregation sold the setting up to the Electra Chapter of the Buy of the Japanese Star, which sold the building in 1985.
607 NE Madison St.
St. Mary’s Cathedral
The very first stone for St. Mary’s Cathedral was laid in 1885 and the structure was dedicated in 1889. Chicago architect Casper Mehler built the towering setting up in the model of St. Patrick’s Cathedral in New York City. It is property to the Diocese of Peoria, where the Catholic televangelist and sainthood prospect Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen was born, raised and ordained.
3014 N. Prospect Highway
Ever puzzled the place the road names in Peoria arrived from? Acquire a stroll as a result of Springdale Cemetery to see the graves of the community’s founders. The cemetery was chartered in 1855 but did not receive its 1st interment in 1857. Pretty much 78,000 persons are buried in the cemetery, which incorporates a general public mausoleum and 15 non-public mausoleums.
Grand Watch Drive
The aptly named Grand Watch Travel winds alongside a scenic bluff overlooking the Illinois River Valley from Peoria by Peoria Heights. The 2.52-mile drive was constructed in 1903. President Theodore Roosevelt referred to it as the “world’s most wonderful drive” throughout a stop by in 1910. In addition to the river view, people can also get pleasure from the numerous lovely historical households developed alongside the road.
Leslie Renken can be reached at (309) 370-5087 or [email protected] Comply with her on Facebook.com/leslie.renken.